Wednesday, April 27, 2016

When I Feel Down... The World Picks Me Up!



     Every session or two, I write a specific monologue for an actor in my Creative Kids Talent Workshop acting classes. One such monologue was entitled 'My Formerly Best Friend', it was originally written for my daughter. As a divorced dad, my daughter spent the school year with my ex who lived out of state. Since my daughter enjoyed acting and was in various school plays, I decided that as a gift to her, I would write her a (topical, semi- melodramatic) piece she could use in auditions. It would be her own personal monologue.
     In the years following, quite a few of my other students had become enamored of the monologue and asked to use it as their own for auditions in school plays and community theaters. Since it came from a stack of my own Workshop's monologues and was dedicated to my daughter, it held a special place in my heart. So...as if by magic, I came in contact with a book publisher in N.Y. who was scouring acting programs looking for new and topical monologues to publish in an Actor's Audition Book. I knew this one fit the bill. It had a snippy teenager whining about the lack of attention she was getting from her best friend. It had a cell phone in it. It mentioned  'the Mall'. It was under 3 minutes. And it had a good ending. The monologue was reviewed and published, and since then has taken on a life of its own.
     Youtube is loaded with young (and old) superstars looking to get discovered by recording themselves as if auditioning to some unknown talent scout! "Quick, Estelle! Get me the MILLION DOLLAR Contract! I have found the next NEW STAR!"
     For some strange reason, 'My Formerly Best Friend' is a popular choice. Now, I get no royalties from these kids... in fact, all I have ever asked for was either some personal recognition 'written by MJ Ferruzza' or recognition of  my acting program 'from The Creative Kids Talent Workshop' or both. A majority of these kids (and a few adults) do acknowledge me in some way. I will send a personal note in their Video comment section and thank them... as well as encourage them!


     Now, as I occasionally scan Youtube... when I get bored (and even Yahoo or Google myself and 'monologues'), I have found the number of these video monologues have grown exponentially. Even other published monologues, like Butterhead Star Wars, have growth in their number of video versions. And, these are not just American kids ... but from place like England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia.... Japan...


     Am I proud? How could I not be? This is the reason that I created The Creative Talent Workshop. We are not just teaching acting here, but developing truly Creative Kids! This is my footprint in the sand on the world. Actor... turned acting coach... turned world acting coach!
     I guess a feather in my cap moment has been a Junior Miss America winner using a Creative Kids monologue to capture her tiara. She was representing Western New York, the same area my late father was born and raised. Kismet!
     But the true cherry on the Sundae... I have recently learned that a school in China is using my monologues to help teach English...

     As an artist, I am prone to emotional and creative (if not financial) ups and downs. I believe this is the real reason that writers, painters, musicians, songwriters and, of course, actors put their emotional all into personal projects. So, now if I get a bit down in spirit, I just head to my computer and watch all these young talented people... from all around the world... anonymously perform my work. It picks me up and joyfully pushes me toward a new set of projects for the Creative Kids Talent Workshop!

_____________________________________________________


Be sure to read my other works!
Check out

_________________________________________________

Download or Stream Classic Movies
100% Legal

_________________________________________________

Creative Kids Talent Workshop
Fundraiser

     _________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment