Friday, April 22, 2016

Earth Day 1970

     I learned about Earth Day (which I originally perceived as a win for the Hippies of the day in getting some recognition from The Man) when I was a 5th grader at St. Richard's School. Like any good prison...er.. school, we prisoners...er....students were lined up and marched out onto the yard... er.. playground/soccer field...
Note: I jest about any school being seen as a prison, am I right?
... We were given rakes and hoes (and other gardening utensils) to beautify our great outdoors...as long as that great outdoors was inside the school fence and inside the boundaries of our schoolyard and property. We were split into a few small groups to cover different areas of the property. I believe my group was to clean the garden behind the house adjacent to our school building, yet owned by the school. After picking up stray trash, wrappers and papers blown there by the wind, it was time to rake. But alas, no rake! It was on that day that I learned a monumental lesson that would stay with me the rest of my life. A lesson that was better than math and science. It was better than a foreign language. It was better than arts and crafts. On that day I learned... a pretty girl can make a man (or boy at that time) do anything for her ...without even a second thought... just by using kind words and a smile.
The Need: A Rake
Who had Rake?: John Glover
Who could get Rake?: Kathy Moyer
Who returned with Rake?: Kathy Moyer
     It was that easy. As I started the job of raking for our group, John came to his senses and realized... he had no rake. He rushed over to our group to ask for the return of the rake so he could finish his leaf pile. Unfortunately, I now had rake... and John did not stand a chance of getting it back! No soap, John! Win one for this Kid!
     About halfway through the clean up detail... er... Earth Day fun, we were ordered... er told to switch up the groups, Kathy Moyer ended up on leaf detail with another group. By that time, I was just finishing up raking the outline of the backyard garden. Stopping for a moment to pull a few weeds, a shadow stood above me blocking the sun. It was sweet, attractive Kathy Moyer!
The Need: A Rake
Who had Rake?: Me
Who could get Rake?: Kathy Moyer
Who left with Rake?: Kathy Moyer
     Beaten by my own cleverness! Bravo, Kathy! Bravo! I forgave Kathy 20+ years or so later (just j/k)... after she replied to an IM on Facebook. She sweetly informed me that my talents in theater (back then) had naturally set me on the right career path. Now, whenever I think of her.. she wears a halo.
     Unfortunately, the last chance I had to celebrate with my former classmates (and 5th Grade Earth Day Celebrants), I was locked into a huge theater project of my own. One that I could not escape... but...maybe if a pretty girl had asked in person... again, I digress.
     As for later Earth Days and their celebrations ( especially ones celebrated in downtown Indy):
I met a former live-in girlfriend.
Hobnobbed with celebrities and politicians.
I would visit Weather Girl (and TV goddess) Angela Buchman at autograph signings.
I'd get free tree samplings and seeds there.
And... it was still a day to get out and celebrate Mother Earth...
and the memory of the original St. Richard's School 5th Grade Earth Day chain gang...er... Club!
_______________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________


Be sure to read my other works!
Check out

_________________________________________________

Download or Stream Classic Movies
100% Legal

_________________________________________________

Creative Kids Talent Workshop
Fundraiser

     _________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment