Saturday, April 30, 2016

Reflections on Heaven: How's the Food Up Here?

 
     A good friend of mine went through the joy (and sorrow) of celebrating her brother's birthday... one year after his untimely death. She spent the day with her mother and some close family members. Grieving is a straining process. One that I would never make light of, especially, as it has affected me personally following... my father's murder, loss of friends through suicide, cancer and the like. And as I now deal with my mother's current battle with Alzheimer's.
     I celebrate life, so I decided to write this to my friend. I share it with you now:
     How long do you think our dearly departed loved ones want us to weep over their loss? What if they're in heaven above (if you believe in such a thing) and just smiling down. (No doubt saying "What's Happenin'?")
     I have lost so many friends in recent years, I would hope that if and when I meet up with a lost loved one in that great beyond, our first conversation doesn't start out like this...
MJ: How's the food here?
Friend: We don't eat. We live on bliss!
MJ: Is that like a shake?
F: Same old MJ!
MJ: I cried a lot when you passed away!
F: I was right here! All you had to do was think of me!
MJ: Yeah...but...
F: I don't remember you calling me everyday... why cry everyday?
MJ: It's a personal thing, I guess!
F: How about listening to my favorite music?
MJ: That happens... sometimes...
F:  Did you have a picture of me hanging around?
MJ: I think in a scrapbook...
F: Did you ever tell anyone about the time we drank all those beers and stole that...
MJ: ...Ahem! ...Good point!
F: You see...It's really a short walk on planet Earth... and when your time comes...It's really not all that bad!
MJ: But... I did miss you!
F: I was always with you! More than when I was on that revolving orb we called Earth!
MJ: But you were not with me in person!
F: No! But... I was in your heart... and there you never have to say goodbye! I was always there... that close to you.
MJ: (Changing the subject) So... no lobster up here?
F: When did I ever eat lobster?
MJ: Oh..I thought...
F: How much about me did you even know?
MJ: Point taken! So... What do we do about the people we left behind?
F: We see them when they call out to us. We hear them when they whisper. It's cool....  Except if it interrupts a bocce game!
MJ: Who's playing?
F: Your Grandma...and your great great great uncle Rastus!
MJ: Say what?!

Smile! Life (and afterlife) is not that bad. Especially if you surround yourself with people you love... Here in the now.. and those who left before us.
_____________________________________________________


Be sure to read my other works!
Check out

_________________________________________________

Download or Stream Classic Movies
100% Legal

_________________________________________________

Creative Kids Talent Workshop
Fundraiser

     _________________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment